- Avoid contact with all wild animals. Do not approach, feed, or handle any wild animals. NEVER keep wild animals as pets.
- Avoid contact with all stray, feral or unfamiliar dogs, cats and ferrets.
- Report strays and wild animals showing unusual behavior to the Animal Control Division of the Cabarrus County Sheriff's Office (704) 920-3000.
- Protect your home from wildlife and bats. Secure and maintain screens on doors and windows. Cap chimneys. Seal any opening to attics, basements and home interior.
- Secure trash; use animal-proof containers.
- Do not feed pets outside. Do not store or leave open pet food outside.
- Visit your veterinarian regularly and keep cats, dogs, and ferrets currently vaccinated against rabies. N.C. General Statute 130A-185 requires that all dogs, cats, and ferrets in North Carolina be vaccinated against rabies by four months of age.
- Livestock that are valuable and/or have frequent contact with humans (like at petting zoos, fairs, and public exhibitions), as well as horses and traveling interstate, should be currently vaccinated against rabies.
- Confine your animals to your property.
- If your animal is bitten or attacked by another animal, contact Animal Control (704) 920-3000. A rabies booster is required within 5 days of a bite to protect your currently vaccinated pet (N.C. General Statute 130A-197). Livestock producers should contact the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services regarding rabies exposure, vaccinations, and quarantine procedures.
Effective Spring 2013, the Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Department teamed up with Dr. Robert Parrish, Carolina Value Pet Care Mobile Vaccine Clinic, to provide monthly Rabies vaccinations for dogs and cats in Cabarrus County at a reduced rate.
Vaccinations will be available for $10.00 with $1.00 being donated to the Humane Society of Concord. Monthly clinics scheduled in conjunction with Cabarrus County Animal Control are held at 244 NC Highway 49, Concord, NC.
To see the complete schedule for Carolina Value Pet Care's mobile clinic dates, visit http://carolinavaluepetcare.com/schedule/ or call 704-288-8620.